Skip to content
Try my blood orange and buttermilk ciambella, a soft, moist and sensationally perfumed breakfast cake (you know us Italians!!), perfect with tea or coffee or tarted up and served with chocolate sauce and ice-cream as a dessert. xxx
INGREDIENTS, serves 10/12
3/4 cup of brown sugar
zest and juice of 2 blood oranges (zest first, then juice them)
1/2 cup of mild olive oil or grape seed oil
1/2 cup of buttermilk
1-2/3 cup of self raising flour
1. Preheat your oven to 180 C, 350 F. Grease and flour a bundt cake tin
2. Beat the eggs with sugar until pale and fluffy
3. Add orange zest, juice and oil and whisk well
4. Add the flour and mix gently, alternating with the buttermilk to create a smooth batter. Pour the batter into the tin.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and a cooked through. Insert a wooden skewer in the centre of the cake to make sure it’s baked to perfection. If it comes out clean, happy times! Otherwise give it another 2-3 minutes in the oven
6. Cool at room temperature in its tin for at least 1 hour, before turning out onto a platter
Serve as it is, or drizzle with chocolate sauce and dollop whipped cream or gelato for an indulgent treat!
SILVIA’S CUCINA is available in stores and online!
- Fire Roasted Red Peppers and Burrata Salad
- Buttermilk Sandwich Bread (Pan Carre’)