Crostini with Homemade Fig Jam and Gorgonzola
- For the jam:
- 6 ounces stemmed dried black mission figs
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- For the crostini:
- ½ baguette, cut into 12 (½-inch thick) diagonal slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
To prepare fig jam: Add the figs, water, sugar, thyme, salt and lemon to a heavy medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until the liquid is reduced and thick and the figs are very soft, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and, using an immersion blender, pulse the mixture to create a jam-like texture. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
To prepare crostini: Arrange baguette slices on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Brush tops with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown on top, about 5 minutes.
To serve: Remove baguette slices from oven and spread about a tablespoon of fig jam onto each. Top with crumbled Gorgonzola and transfer to a serving platter.