Fried Red Tomatoes Italian Style
- large size, firm yet ripened tomatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick.
- dry polenta
- romano cheese, finely grated
- dried thyme, granulated garlic, salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- olive oil for pan frying
- fresh basil for garnish
- Start by slicing your tomatoes into ¼ inch slices, cutting off the tips and bottoms.
- Pull out the seeds with the tip of your finger, you don’t want the slices to be wet.
- Lay tomato slices onto a paper towel to pat dry.
- Equal parts polenta and finely grated romano cheese.
- Sprinkle in some dried time, a little granulated garlic, salt and pepper.
- Beat two eggs, use more as needed depending how many tomatoes you are using.
- Heat a frying pan on the stove and cover the bottom with olive oil, keep on medium heat.
- Dip tomato slice into the egg then into the polenta cheese mixture.
- Place into the frying pan and don’t flip it until it is nicely golden, then flip and do the other side.
- When crispy, gently remove and place onto a paper towel to absorb grease, which is not much.
- Sprinkle with a little salt finely chopped basil, a little sprinkling of cheese and serve