- 4 slices (½-inch thick) crusty artisanal bread, or individual focaccia sliced horizontally
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mozzarella (can use fresh smoked mozzarella)
- 6 thin tomato slices (to fit across bread)
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons pesto∗
Griddler in the closed grill position to 375°F.
Lightly brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil. Lay on work surface, oiled side down, and spread with pesto. Layer with cheese and tomato. Season lightly with salt and pepper if desired. Top with the other slice of bread, oiled side up.
Place the sandwiches on the preheated Griddler. Cover, press lightly for 30 seconds and bake for 3 to 4 minutes until bread is grill marked and crispy and cheese is melted. Serve hot.
∗ For a home-made twist, try this pesto recipe by Vitamix »