Italian Potato Soup
This recipe is comfort food at its best. There is nothing better than nice chunks of potatoes, carrots and zucchini swimming in a chicken broth and flavored with pancetta, onions, shallots and parsley.
- 3oz of pancetta, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbls of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbls of butter
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 3 cups of white potatoes, diced
- 6 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 1/4 cup of fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 5 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, saute the pancetta, onions, shallot and garlic in the olive oil and butter until the pancetta is slightly crisp.
- Stir in the celery, carrots, zucchini, potatoes, basil and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook covered for about 10 to 15 minute stirring on occasion.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a bowl and top with parmesan cheese.
Serves 6 to 8 people