INGREDIENTS, serves 8
For the cake
2 large lemons, whole
250 gr of sugar
250 gr of almond meal (almond flour)
5 egg yolks
1 teaspoon of baking powder
5 egg whites, whipped to soft peaks
1. Boil two large lemons for two hours then blend them, whole, in a food processor with 250 gr of sugar, 250 gr of almond meal and 5 egg yolks.
2. Add a teaspoon of baking powder. Whisk 5 egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gently fold in the lemon mixture.
3. Pour onto a greased and floured cake tin and bake at 170 degrees Celsius (338 degrees Fahrenheit) for 40/45 minutes.
Cool down in the tin, then reverse onto a cake stand and ice with vanilla frosting.
For the vanilla frosting
75 gr soft butter
375 gr icing sugar ( I know, it’s a lot. Keep your kids away or they’ll be bouncing off the walls within seconds!)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. milk
1. Blend butter and sugar until creamy then add vanilla and milk. Beat for a couple of minutes on medium speed, until frosting is smooth.
2. Spread frosting onto your cooled cake and decorate with toasted pistacchio nuts and lemon zest.