The salty Parmesan coats the peas, countering their sweetness, while the lemon juice cuts through the richness of the cheese to keep this dish light and bright.
- 4 big handfuls of fresh or frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- A small squeeze of lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- Fill a large saucepan about two-thirds full of water, cover it, and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Add the peas and cook 3 minutes for fresh or 1 minute for frozen. (Taste one before draining to make sure they’re ready.)
- Remove from the heat, save a small cup of the cooking water, and then drain the peas in a colander.
- Put the peas back in the pan with some of the reserved water, and add the butter.
- Stir, then sprinkle in the Parmesan, and stir again until every pea is coated in the cheese. (You may need to add a bit more water to loosen the peas.)
- Add a small squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of pepper, and serve immediately.