Pasta e Patate Laura Vitale
- 1-1/2lb of Russet Potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Stalks of Celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 of a small Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup of Tomato Puree or any Tomato product (3 Tbsp of Tomato Paste if using that)
- 10 cups of Water
- Few Fresh Basil Leaves
- 8oz of Pasta Mista or Ditalini
- 2 inch Rind of Parmiggiano
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- To serve:
- Freshly Grated Parm
- Fresh Basil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1) In a soup pot, add the olive oil, onion and celery along with a small pinch of salt and saute for a few minutes or until soft and translucent, add the potatoes, water, basil, tomato product and parm rind. Bring to a boil, partially cover and simmer on medium for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes are practically falling apart.
2) After 45 minutes, remove the rind, season with plenty of salt and pepper, add the pasta, cook for about 7-8 minutes then remove from the heat, cover and let it sit for 10 minutes undisturbed.
3) To serve, ladle into a bowl, top with freshly grated parm, a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil, few fresh basil leaves and lots of freshly ground black pepper.