Pumpkin and Pancetta Ravioli Recipe
Ever wonder how to make plump, delicious ravioli from scratch at home? Here you go! Making your own pasta, in this case Ravioli, is not as complicated as it sounds. Our recipe for Pumpkin and Pancetta Ravioli is served with a creamy butter and sage sauce, and topped with chopped nuts – the perfect dish for cool nights and crisp fall days!
Yield: Serves 4
Pumpkin and Pancetta Ravioli Recipe Instructions
For the Dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the Filling
- 1 lb pumpkin or squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 oz bacon or pancetta chopped
- 13 oz grated pecorino cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
For the Walnut and Sage Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup hot whole milk
- 1 bunch fresh sage leaves
- 2 oz. grated blue cheese
- 3 oz grated provolone cheese
- 3 oz grated gruyere cheese
- 3 oz grated parmesan cheese
- 1 and ½ cup cream
- ½ cup roughly chopped nuts
- To prepare the dough, use a food processor with a kneading paddle. Place the ingredients in the bowl and process until you get a ball of dough, elastic and smooth. Transfer to a floured surface and knead approximately 3 minutes. Cover and reserve at room temp.
- Scoop the seeds out of the pumpkin and cut into large pieces. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil, then bake at medium heat for 1 hour, or until tender.
- Once the pumpkin is done, remove from heat, cool, peel and puree. Add in bacon or pancetta, pecorino cheese, mix and reserve.
- Divide the dough into two parts, shape into rectangles and roll out to about 1/8 inch thick – using a rolling pin over a floured surface .
- On one rectangle of dough, place teaspoons of the pumpkin filling about 1 inch apart from each other, then brush the edges the dough with egg. Roll out the other dough rectangle on top, pressing firmly with your fingers around to seal. Cut each ravioli with a round wheel, and reserve on a plate to cook. Get started on your sauce.
- Heat the milk and set aside. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the flour and cook for 30 seconds, whisking. Remove from heat, add the milk while still hot, whisking quickly, and add in the sage. Return to heat and cook, stirring or whisking constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Add in the cheese, mixing with a wooden spoon, then add the cream and turn off the heat so it stops cooking but remains hot.
- Boil a large pot of salted water and add in the ravioli. Cook until they rise to the surface, then drain and transfer to the sauce pan, stir to coat, then serve, garnishing with chopped walnuts.