Salt Block Scallops with Tomato & Basil Vinaigrette
Grilling scallops brings out their natural sweetness, and grilling them directly on a Himalayan salt block, imparts a subtle salty note to the shellfish. Make sure to heat the salt block slowly on the grill or in an oven to prevent cracking. Also make sure to give the block several hours to cool to room temperature before lightly scrubbing under running water.
- 1 pound large sea scallops, abductor muscle removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter1 small shallot, peeled and finely minced
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-½ teaspoons cracked black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes cut in ½
- 1 tablespoon sliced basil leaves
- Prepare the Himalayan Salt Block: Place a completely dry Himalayan salt block on a cold charcoal or gas grill. Light grill and heat slowly to 400 degrees. Once grill reaches temperature, allow salt block to heat for another 20 to 30 minutes. Alternately, set salt block on a rimmed baking sheet, place on a rack in the center of a cold oven and heat to 400 degrees. Once oven reaches temperature, allow salt block to heat for another 20 to 30 minutes.
- To make the honey cracked pepper glaze: In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook until shallots have softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the honey, lemon juice and black pepper. Stir to combine, then taste and season with salt and pepper.
- To make vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, use a whisk to combine the mustard and vinegar. Drizzle olive oil into the mixture until well combined. Stir in cherry tomatoes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the scallops: Using a silicone pastry brush, brush the scallops with glaze mixture. Place scallops directly on salt block and cook until lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Using tongs, turn scallops onto a clean spot on the block, brush again with glaze and continue cooking until the center is slightly opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes more.
- To serve: Divide scallops between 4 heated serving plates. Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons of vinaigrette over scallops and serve immediately.