Sicilian Cauliflower Salad
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, minced
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 1/4 cup gherkins (sour baby pickles), minced
- 1 tablespoon minced Italian parsley
- 4 anchovies, chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and minced
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil.
- Drop in the cauliflower florets and 2 tablespoons of the salt; cook until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes, then drain and shock in ice water; drain again.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the vinegar, olive oil, pepper, olives, capers, gherkins, parsley and anchovies, and set aside to marinate, tossing once in a while, for 1 hour to 6 hours at room temperature.
- Sprinkle with the hard-boiled eggs and enjoy.