Spaghetti alla Carbonara with Zucchini
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 lb medium zucchini, trimmed, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds (about 3 and 1/2 cups)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano cheese (about 2 and 1/2 ounces)
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces, divided
Heat olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
Add garlic and saute until pale golden, about 1 minute.
Add zucchini and saute until beginning to color, about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat; discard garlic.
Meanwhile, whisk eggs and Parmigiano cheese in large bowl to blend.
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until ‘al dente’, stirring occasionally.
Drain pasta; add to egg mixture and toss to coat (heat from pasta will cook eggs).
Add zucchini mixture and half of basil to pasta; stir gently to blend.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with remaining basil and serve.