Veal Cutlets with Sauteed Baby Artichokes
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 12 baby artichokes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Six 4-ounce veal cutlets (each about 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Fill large bowl with cold water; add lemon juice.
- Cut off stem and top quarter from 1 artichoke.
- Bend back dark green outer leaves and snap off at base until pale green and yellow leaves remain.
- Quarter artichoke lengthwise; remove any purple-tipped leaves from center.
- Place in lemon water.
- Repeat with remaining artichokes.
- Cook drained artichokes in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain well; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add artichokes and saute 5 minutes.
- Add capers and crushed red pepper.
- Cook about 5 minutes.
- Stir in basil and lemon peel.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature. Rewarm before using.)
- Sprinkle veal with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Working in batches, add veal and cook until brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer veal to plates.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with artichoke mixture. Makes 6 servings.