FRUTTI DI MARE ON THE GRILL
If you love seafoood, will be right at home with this one especially after you see the ease with which you can prepare it. The flavor is amazing and you will be transported immediately to the Italian coast with the resulting aroma. It is simply…divine!
Prep: About 30 minutes
Cook: About 20 minutes
- 4 Large Pieces of Foil – about 18 “
- CHOOSE ANY ASSORTMENT OF FISH YOU LIKE BUT THIS IS WHAT I LIKE!
- 1/2 lb. Calamari (Squid) Tubes (tentacles also if you like) cut into rings
- 16 Large Fresh Shrimp, cleaned and shelled
- 12 Fresh Mussels, with outside of shells cleaned with a brush under running water
- 20 Small Clams ( I like Littlenecks or Cockles for this dish but any will do!) – outer shells brushed under running water to clean
- 2 6-8 oz. Lobster Tails, each cut in half with meat loosened from the shell
- 2-3 Italian Sausage Links – cut into rounds
- 2 Large Cloves Fresh Garlic, chopped finely
- 3-4 Small Yukon Gold Potatoes – cut up in small pieces – skins on (I like to microwave these for a couple of minutes first to begin the cooking process.)
- 1 Fennel Bulb, sliced thinly
- 4 Springs Fresh Tarragon
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Basil – chopped
- 4 Slices Fresh Orange + 1 Squeeze of fresh juice per packet
- Dash Red Pepper Flakes per packet
- Pinch of Saffron per packet
- Kosher Salt and Fresh Pepper to taste
- About 1/2 Cup Crushed San Marzano tomatoes per packet
- Splash of Dry White wine per packet
- Splash of Clam Juice per packet
- Dash of Sambuca per packet (optional but a great addition!)
- Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil per packet
- Get all of your ingredients ready and lined up to go.
- Lay out the foil sheets and evenly distribute the seafood, sausage, potatoes, fennel, and garlic on the bottom half of each sheet.
- You might want to curl the foil edges upward a bit so that liquid does not run out.
- Then top these ingredients with the tomatoes next – followed by the herbs, orange, orange juice squeeze, red pepper, saffron, salt, pepper, wine, clam juice and Sambuca.
- End with a nice drizzle of Extra Virgin.
- Fold the top half of foil sheet over the bottom half with the ingredients on it and quickly roll up the edges around 3 sides tightly!
- Place them on a platter and take them to the grill.
- The grill should be very hot – around 450 degrees. Close the top of the grill and cook 20 minutes.
- Remove the packets and give each guest one of them. Caution them to open carefully as the steam coming out is HOT! If any of the clams or mussels have not opened, return the packet to the grill for 4-5 minutes. Some of these are stubborn! If still not open, discard them.
- Place a bowl in the center of the table for discarded shells.