Roasted Zucchini Pasta
Makes 4 servings
- 2 pounds medium zucchini, trimmed, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 small sweet Vidalia onion or 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces penne or ziti, dry, preferably whole grain
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Feta or goat cheese, to taste (optional)
- Optional additions: sun-dried tomatoes, sliced plum tomatoes, fresh corn, black olives, mushrooms, toasted pine nuts, pesto, roasted red pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss zucchini, onion, garlic and 3 tablespoons oil in bowl.
- Spread into a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast until zucchini is lightly browned, turning once, 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking liquid before draining the pasta.
- Return pasta to pot. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil; cover and set aside.
- Stir the roasted vegetables into the pasta.
- Add 1/4 cup pasta cooking liquid, and stir over medium heat until heated through.
- Add basil and cheese. Toss, adding reserved cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls to moisten if dry.
- Taste, and adjust your seasonings. Serve immediately.