Salmon with Braised Artichokes and Olives
Makes 4 servings
- 4 (5 to 6 ounce) skinless salmon fillets, pin-bones removed, about 1-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped into ¼–inch dice
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup drained and roughly chopped canned artichoke hearts
- ½ cup pitted roughly chopped green olives
- 2 tablespoons minced basil, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
Fish for compliments when serving up perfectly seared salmon in a sauce loaded with savory tomatoes, olives and artichokes.
Preheat an oven to 425 degrees and position an oven rack in the center.
To prepare sauce: Place a large heavy skillet on the stove over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the wine, lemon juice, tomatoes, artichokes and olives and simmer until the sauce is thick and the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the basil, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
To prepare salmon: Generously season the salmon. Place a large skillet on the stove over a medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the salmon filet, presentation side first and cook until lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Using a fish spatula, carefully flip the salmon and transfer to the oven to cook until the fish begins to flake, about 8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the filet.
To serve: Transfer salmon on individual serving plates. Using a spoon, place the artichoke and olive sauce over the top and serve immediately.
Join Joanne and Frank on Facebook at