Skip to content
Sicilian Tuna with Warm Tomato-Caper Salsa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 wild-caught tuna steaks, 6 oz each
- For sauce:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For the tuna, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, minced anchovies, and oregano.
- Place the tuna in a resealable bag and and pour in the marinade mixture. Turn to coat, and seal the bag, pressing out as much air as you can.
- Marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature, or longer in the refrigerator.
To make the sauce,
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced tomato and capers, and simmer for about five minutes.
- Stir in the capers, basil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Remove from heat.
Cooking the tuna
- Meanwhile, heat lightly oil (or spritz with cooking spray) a large stainless skillet and place over high heat. Remove the fish from the bag, and shaking off excess marinade, and sear for about 2 minutes per side, until just barely opaque in the center. (Alternatively, grill the fish over high heat.)
- Plate the fish and top with the warm sauce.
- Swordfish with Lemon and Capers
- Strawberry Tiramisu