Skip to content
Sweet Italian Sausage Casserole with Eggplant and Zucchini
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup diced (1/2-inch) eggplant
- 1 cup diced (1/2-inch) zucchini
- 1 cup diced (1/2-inch) red or green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- Cayenne or black pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- Put olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the sausage meat and cook for 10 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spoon.
- Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon; reserve.
- To the same pot, add the eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, onion and garlic.
- Stirring occasionally, cook until softened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved sausage, the tomatoes, parsley, basil and cayenne.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into an 8 by 9-inch, oven-to-table baking dish to fit and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a 350°F preheated oven until the cheese melts, about 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 4 servings.