Skip to content
Beer-Steamed Mussels with Fennel & Shallots
- 2 lb. mussels
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 2 shallots finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 t. salt
- 2 cups wit beer
- 1/2 orange
- 2 T. butter
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- crusty bread for dipping
- Place the mussels in a colander and run cool water over them. Scrub and debeard mussels if needed – Serious Eats has a good guide.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fennel & shallots, saute for 2 minutes, then add garlic & salt and saute for another minute.
- Add mussels to the pan and shake to coat with oil. Pour beer over mussels, stir to coat, then cover tightly.
- Cook mussels for 3-5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally. Keep skillet covered but check every 30 seconds or so to see if mussels have opened. As soon as a mussel opens, remove it with a slotted spoon to a serving plate. Discard any mussels that haven’t opened after 10 minutes.
- Squeeze juice from orange into broth, then add butter & continue simmering until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and pour broth over mussels.
- Serve hot, with crusty bread for the broth.
- Grilled Vegetables with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Parmesan-Lemon Grilled Fennel