Chioggia Beet Salad with Lemon
The Chioggia beet (pronounced kee-OH-gee-uh), also known as the candy cane or candy stripe beet, hails from Chioggia, a town in Northern Italy, and became popular in the 19th century.
- 2-3 Chioggia beets, depending on their size
- salt and freshly cracked pepper
- juice from 1 small lemon, about 2-3 tbsp
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard
- Scrub the beets really well. Slice off the tops and trim the roots.
- Slice the beets as thin as possible. This is easiest if you use a mandoline. Arrange the slices into a serving bowl, lightly seasoning them with salt and pepper as you go along.
- Combine the lemon juice, oil and mustard in a small jar with lid and shake well. Drizzle over the beet slices and serve.