Spaghetti with Spicy Broccoli
Makes 4 servings
- 1 large crown of broccoli
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) spaghetti
- Squeeze of lemon (optional)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, shredded, or to taste
- Optional mix-ins: cherry or grape tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms, toasted pine nuts, sautéed onion (If you’d like to add some meat, try cooked chicken, turkey, shrimp, Italian sausage, bacon or ham.)
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot for cooking the pasta.
- To Prep the Broccoli: Discard the stalks, and cut the florets into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, and sauté until the garlic is golden. Turn off the heat, and stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- When the water comes to a boil, add salt to taste and the spaghetti. Cook until the pasta is almost al dente, about 5 minutes, then add the broccoli.
- Continue cooking until the pasta is al dente and the broccoli is tender, about 2 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Add the spaghetti and broccoli to the skillet. Squeeze a little lemon over the top, and toss over high heat. Add the reserved cooking liquid to moisten the dish. Divide into bowls, top with cheese, and serve immediately.